Lawrence is a mission & discipleship consultant and owner of Walking the Walk – encouraging churches to focus on missional discipleship as a way of creating Jesus-shaped churches, full of Jesus-shaped people, making a Jesus-shaped difference.
Trained in Bible, Missiology and Systematic Theology, he is a gifted teacher and sought after preacher, speaker, workshop and event leader.
His blog, Disclosing New Worlds, is a widely used and cited commentary on the Revised Common Lectionary texts.
He devised, designed and built iChurch – an out-of-the-box church website solution based on the WordPress platform. He is passionate about churches engaging with and embracing the possibilities presented by Information Technology. He designs and builds websites in his spare time.
He is an Apple evangelist and enthuses at length about the music of Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Bruce Springsteen to the increasingly few people who are prepared to listen to him!
Let’s work together.
I hate writing About pages! You have to make sure to sell yourself without sounding arrogant and self-important. I’m doing what I’m doing because I believe it’s what I’m called to do. I work on a Pay What You Can basis: you pay me what my input is worth to you and within the constraints of what you can afford. I do it well – I under-promise and over-deliver. But most importantly, I want to make a difference – and I want churches to be part of the Good News about Jesus! If that’s what you want to do, get in touch – I’d love to work with you and get to know you. Here are just a few of the things we might do together:
1. MISSIONAL DISCIPLESHIP
- Christianity vs Jesus: crisis for the church
- Christian faith: a road trip with Jesus
- Survivalism vs “Take up your cross”
- Making a Jesus-shaped difference
- What makes Jesus Christian?
- Which Jesus – other-wordly, conservative, liberal, or radical?
- Jesus and money: being church in a consumer society
- Why is the church look so different from Jesus?
- Between the covers of the OT/NT
- Jesus and the Big Stories of the Bible
- Reading the Bible as missional disciples
- Matthew’s/Mark’s/Luke’s/John’s Jesus
- Mission: what, why, how?
- Salvation for this world: mission, the Kingdom, and “the least first”
- Mission vs survivalism: two ways of being church
- Church: sign of the Kingdom or part of that from which the world needs saving?
- “Come and follow” – evangelism for everyone
- Saving souls or sharing in God’s Life – why do it?
- How can the church be part of the Good News?
- Telling our faith stories
6. MISSIONAL DISCIPLESHIP ONLINE
- How real is the virtual world?
- The connection economy: from broadcast to conversation
- Websites with a mission
- Social media – if you’re not there, you’re nowhere
7. MUSIC & FILM
- Brokenness & grace in the music of Leonard Cohen
- Prophecy & protest in the music of Bob Dylan
- The Kingdom of God in Springsteen’s “Land of hope and dreams”
- Theology and The Matrix/Son of Man/Joyeux Noël/Man Dancin’/The Mission/The Shack